Saturday, March 7, 2020

What I learned from having a son on chemotherapy that can be applied to fear around the Coronavirus


            There is a lot of anxiety right now about what might happen. But we never know what tomorrow might bring.  My oldest son, Christopher, was on chemotherapy from ages three to five and again when he was eight and nine. I didn’t know if he would live or die and often I stressed about it.  
            But all that worry did was move me away from him. Every time I got wrapped up in ‘what ifs’ I mentally and emotionally left him, even though he was right in front of me, and doing well. I thought I’d be more prepared or could control things better by thinking about the worst-case scenario over and over again, but it only made me emotionally unavailable, rattled my nerves, and overworked my adrenal system.  
            Tomorrow is always a mystery, but all that panic and worry do is ruin today.  You might say, but I can’t help it. I get it. I’d had anxiety since I was a little girl. But I had to find a way to get control of it because I wanted to enjoy my children. Regardless of what might’ve happened in the future they wouldn’t be children forever.  
            
So here are my tips to help transcend fear:
  1. Stay very close to the present moment. Children do it – that’s why they have so much joy and laughter. There is nothing we can do to change the past – trust me I’ve tried. And we have no control over our future, but in the present moment we can live, breath, love and create. 
  2. To stay present, be mindful of what you are doing – feel the sun and wind on your face if you are outside. If you are eating notice the taste, texture and heat or chill of the food.  
  3. Pray whether it be to God or the Universe. This life is hard and it’s even harder when we try to do it all on our own. Ask for support and guidance. 
  4. Notice your breathing. Often we hold our breath when we are anxious. Take long deep inhales and exhales. 
  5. Get up and move. Even if you are afraid still do things. 
  6. Do something for someone else. When we are in service to others we take the focus off our worries.  
  7. Find gratitude and keep a gratitude journal. Studies show that when you write down what you are grateful for, you place the focus on the positive and feel better. 

                        - Suzanne Andora Barron is working on her first book, a memoir entitled ‘Rising Above Fear in the Face of Death.’  

She is a yoga instructor (RYT) and a certified Jin Shin Jyutsu (JSJCP) practitioner


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. There is a great deal of fear around the coronavirus (COVID-19) so I appreciate focusing on the present moment and doing what I can for prevention (wash my hands, don’t touch my face). Your tips are valuable, especially staying present and coming from gratitude. Those tips are gentle reminders for living fully everyday, regardless of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever thoughtful, helpful and wonderful!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. It’s beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wisdom comes from experience Thanks for sharing yours with us. It helps.

    ReplyDelete